The importance of eating breakfast cannot be emphasized enough. The paucity of time and hustle-bustle during the morning hours has led to a boom in breakfast cereals market in India.
The market is divided into two categories – Hot Cereals and Ready-To-Eat(RTE) Cereals. Hot cereals include products like oats, oat bran, wheat bran and porridge whereas ready-to-eat (RTE) cold cereals include cornflakes, wheat flakes, choco flakes, muesli, etc.
- The breakfast cereal market is growing at more than 17% CAGR from the past five years.
- The market grew 24% in 2015 and it is projected to touch Rs 2,610 crore by 2020.
- Cornflakes dominate the market with highest market share whereas other cereals like oats and muesli add up for the rest.
- Kellogg’s India, Bagrrys, Marico and PepsiCo are the leading players operating in this market. Nestle India will become the newest entrant in this segment.
Corn Flakes Manufacturing Process
- The mixture of cleaned corn flour and other dry ingredients is fed into the twin-screw extruder. At the same time, process liquids are fed into the barrel.
- The ingredients are subjected to combination of heating,cooling, mixing and shearing in the extruder.
- The extruded pellets are flaked in the rolling unit and dried.
- Coating of flakes is done if flakes are to be glazed.
- Finally, flakes are dried, cooled and packed.
Multiple Variations to a Breakfast Cereal
- There can be many different cereals used like corn, wheat, oats,rice, and barley.
- Other ingredients, such as salt, yeast, sweeteners, flavoringagents, coloring agents, vitamins, minerals, and preservatives can also be added.
- The sweeteners used in breakfast cereals include malt (obtained from barley), white sugar, brown sugar, and corn syrup.
- Some natural cereals are also sweetened with concentrated fruit juice.
- A wide variety of flavors may be added to breakfast cereals, including nuts, chocolate, cinnamon and other spices, and fruit flavors.
Did you know?
“In 1894, Dr. J.H. Kellogg, with his brother W.K. Kellogg, invented the first pre-cooked flaked cereal for providing a strict vegetarian diet to his patients.”