FOOD PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT
FOOD INDUSTRY IMPLEMENTATION
EXTERNAL R & D
TECHNO ECONOMIC FEASIBILITY
FOOD BRANDING & MARKET RESEARCH
Food Consultants in Pondicherry
The Union Territory of Pondicherry (now Puducherry) is a place where nearly 45% of the population is engaged in agriculture and allied activities. Rice is predominantly grown and consumed in the region followed by pulses. Other crops like coconut, areca nut, spices and condiments are also produced here. Major export items from Pondicherry are rich and fish. Pondicherry has 4, 12 and 813 large scale, medium scale and small scale industries on food products respectively.
Sea Food processing: Fishery is one of the most important occupations in the Union Territory, where about 28 sea fishing villages are there. Fish production has massively increased over the years suggesting big scope for sea food industry.
FISH PRODUCTION VOLUME ACROSS PUDUCHERRY IN INDIA FROM FY 2008 TO FY 2017
(IN THOUSAND METRIC TONS)
Crop processing: Prospective area for processing of food crops are rice, maize, ragi, bajra and also cash crops like sugarcane, oilseeds and chillies.
Dairy processing: Pondicherry has a well organized milk production and distribution system in place. Establishment of modern dairy plants will be a profitable option.
- Significant improvements have been made in the field of agriculture by increasing productivity, achieving crop diversification etc
- Has a well connected marketing network
- Efficient road, rail and port facilities
- Increased exports as an Export Processing Zone is to be set up by Pondicherry government.
Initiatives by Puducherry government
- Food Processing is promoted to minimize wastage of agricultural products
- Development and distribution of better tools and equipment for both agriculture and food industry
- Establishment of regulated markets in all regions
- Ensuring supply of good quality agricultural produce to the food processing industries etc
Potential for new MSMEs
|Project name||Process-able products||Value proposition|
|Cold storage||Frozen fruits, vegetables, meat etc||Infrastructure creation to cold chain system|
|Cattle/poultry feed manufacturing||Cattle/poultry feed||With growing number of livestock there is increase in demand of cattle feed. This sector has great scope for growth|
|Fruit juices and beverages||Bottled coconut water, Juices, squashes, health drinks||The need for packaged beverages is increasing continuously in the country|