“Coconut chutney provides a definite tang to many of the traditional south Indian delicacies such as idli, dosa, vada etc. Without the seasoning effect of coconut chutney, many of these products stand to lose their traditional appeal.”
Instant Coconut chutney mix is a relief to the working generation as it allows them to relish its ethnic taste with just the addition of water.
- Market for ready-mixes is increasing day-by-day due to increasing urbanization, increasing number of working women, increasing disposable income of middle income group families.
- It’s a low cost venture with a huge export scope.
- Market is still unorganized and concentrated in Southern India.
- The Indian Diaspora in other countries looking for ethnic foods away from home presents huge potential for exports of such mixes.
Why Instant Mix
- Increasing number of working women
- Low-cost venture
- Huge Scope in exporting
- The raw materials for making instant coconut chutney mix are Coconut, Chana Dal, Mustard Seeds, Green Chillies, Red Chillies, Curry Leaves, and Salt.
- Chana dal is roasted for the aroma.
- Grated coconut and dal are dried till desired moisture content.
- The mixture is blended with other ingredients and then packed in suitable packaging material.
- Package material for instant chutney mix must protect the product against moisture, light, air, dust, microbes, foreign odor, insects, and rodents.
- Unsupported PE or PP pouches are inadequate to pack these items.
- Polyolefin plastic pouches of 37 to 75µ thickness are generally used for packaging, which provides 5-6 months shelf-life.
- However, for longer shelf-life and export purposes, plain printed polyester with LDPE or HDPE co-extruded films would be better suited from the point of protection and attractive appearance.
- The quality of raw materials has a proportional impact on the final product.
- The final product must reconstitute almost instantly on the addition of water.
- Although the ingredients are simple, it is their perfect proportion that makes the best product.
Did you know?
“India is the largest producer of coconut in the world and September 2 is celebrated as the World Coconut Day across the globe.”
Machinery and Equipment
- For small-scale production, Instant Chutney making Machines with a capacity of 1 ton per day are available in the range of INR 25,00,000 – INR 50,00,000.
- The total cost of machinery including all other equipment would be around INR 55,00,000 and the land required is estimated to be around 1200 square meters.